Teen Surf Camps
Looking for Women’s Camps? Click Here!
If you’re a teen girl who has a thirst for adventure, a love of the ocean, a desire for personal development, and the passion to learn how to surf, then this is the summer camp for you!
Open to girls ages 13- 17, our week-long teen surf camps are dedicated to empowering young women through Maui’s water sports and camp programming. Designed for both beginner and intermediate longboard surfers, our camps include oceanfront accommodations, professional surf coaching, 3 healthy meals a day, and tropical adventures!
New for 2023: There is no ‘Two Week’ camp options due to staffing changeovers. Teens may attend both camps, but parents or guardians must be on island and pick up the camper on the night between camps. There is no discount to attend both camps.
Photos Courtesy Rachael Zimmerman Photography
Once you arrive on Maui, you’ll be greeted at the airport by our friendly staff and whisked away to our oceanfront A-frame cabin facility, the ultimate setting for a surf camp. After some fun ice-breakers and a special opening ceremony, you’ll meet your surf coach and your CIT, who will teach you everything you’ll need to know about surfing, from loading surfboards onto the vans, to carving down the face of the wave. Each morning, we’ll drive just a few miles to our designated surf spot for a two hour surf lesson. For lunch, we will fuel up on our healthy grinds prepared by our private caterers. Afternoon and evening activities include time off to relax in a hammock or lounge in the ocean, beach Olympics, talent shows, scavenger hunts and much more.
Questions about Surf Camp? Email [email protected]
Celebrating over 20 years of teen camps! Over the past two decades, we’ve built a well-rounded program that aims to make a lasting impact on our campers. Not only do they meet lifelong friends and mentors at camp, but they gain experiences and tools to build both inner and outer strength as developing young women. Our focus is to teach adolescent girls how to surf through a sequential teaching program that is designed to cater to the skills and needs of each camper. In addition to the surfing, each camp activity is designed to build a competent and confident camper. Whether gaining skills and confidence on a surfboard or hiking through the West Maui Mountains, our campers gain confidence in their personal strengths and abilities. And through their extraordinary experiences at MSG, she will become more adept in facing the challenges of her daily life back home.
Our Mentorship Program
We strongly believe that with healthy role models, girls can be their best and achieve their goals. The mentorship element of our program provides the girls with one-on-one opportunities to bond with the staff members. Our 3:1 camper to staff ratios are the best in the industry and sets us apart from our competition. Adolescent girls are impressionable. Our staff, including the surf instructors, facilitators and administration, are professional in their presentation through appropriate dress, behavior, attitudes, and words expressed to the girls. The instructor/camper relationships are our highest priority, with both physical and emotional safety held to a high standard.
CIT Leadership Program
One of the main goals at our teen surf camp has always been to create opportunities for leadership and personal development. In 2004 we launched our Counselor in Training (CIT) program. Being selected as a CIT has become more and more competitive through the years, and quite an honor if selected.
The girls’ responsibilities as a CIT include two important camp roles. They are a “cabin mama” for the 5 campers in their cabin. Additionally, they are a “beach captain” that helps assist their assigned surf instructor with loading and unloading the surfboards, and providing encouragement and coaching to the girls in their surf pods. It’s a big job, as the CITs are on both during the day and night with the campers.
Former campers who meet the following criteria may apply:
Available to be on Maui July 10 – 29, 2023 (CIT Training July 11-15th / Teen Camp July 16—29, 2023)
Must be 18-24 on the first day of camp
Preference to former campers, and applicants with at least one year of college experience
Must be 1st Aid & CPR Certified before CIT program begins
Leadership Training Week Course: $2450+tax Fees (airfare not included to OGG) due 60 days prior to camp start date if accepted into program and confirm attendance.
2 week teen camp: Work Trade for Food + Lodging + Equipment
$30 non-refundable Application Fee Required
Applications are due by February 1, 2023 (final dates coming soon)
CITs will be contacted to schedule a video conference interview by March 1, 2023
CITS will be finalized April 1, 2023.
Email [email protected] for more information and a link to the CIT application.
Sample Afternoon Activities
- Stand up paddle boarding
- Beach Olympics
- Scavenger Hunts
- Boogie Boarding
- Hawaiian Arts & Crafts
- Mystery Adventures
Sample Evening Programs
- Spa Night
- Talent Show
- Guest speakers
- Cabin Bonding
- Campfire Counsel
- Surfer Chick Flicks
Registration Fee / Add-ons / Taxes
Registration/Service Fee and Tax is approximately 8% of the total.
Hawaii GET Tax = 4.166%
Booking fee is 4%
2023 camp add-ons (available for purchase at discounted rate at time of booking, can also be purchased at camp store) include:
📸 Three different levels of Photo Packages
🏄🏽♀️ Surfer Girl Starter Kit (includes rash guard, leggings, water bottle and Turkish towel)
🛍 The above items individually
Prices of all of the above are included on the registration page and are visible prior to entering any credit card information.
Payment / Cancellation
2023 Payment and Cancellation Policies –
- The $850 tuition deposit + taxes & registration fee will reserve your enrollment at camp.
- Tuition should be made payable to Maui Surfer Girls. We accept check, money orders, VISA, MC, AMEX, Discover.
- The registration deposit is REFUNDABLE (less service fees) up to 60 days prior to your camps start date.
- ALL CAMP SESSIONS WILL NEED TO BE PAID IN FULL 60 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR CAMPS START DATE.
- The final payment is automatically deducted from the same card that the deposit is paid with, 60 days prior to camp.
- The final payment is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Tuition will NOT be pro-rated if the camper must arrive after our opening day or leaves before our closing day
- In the unfortunate event of a medical emergency causing the camper to cancel attendance within 60 days of camp start, we will need a doctor’s note to honor any refunds. This refund will be determined on a case by case basis depending on how many staff hours were put in to fill your spot from waitlist or marketing efforts. If we are able to fill the spot, you will receive a partial refund (less service fees+ staff hours). If we are unable to fill your spot, you will receive a 50% refund if a doctor’s note has been received. If no doctor’s note has been received, no refund will be issued.
- Click here for all covid-related cancellation policies
Flight / Travel Information
NEW 2023 Travel Information
Free Airport Shuttles provided on Opening & Closing Days. We will have a staff member waiting for your camper at baggage claim when they arrive and on departure day we will have a staff member accompany your camper through check-in and get them into the security line.
Please fly into and out of Kahului, Maui (airport code OGG).
Here are some things to consider while arranging their flights:
Please arrange for your camper to arrive no later than 3pm on Opening day. If your only option is for arrival after 3pm, please contact [email protected] for Late or Early (prior night) arrival procedure. We can accommodate other arrival times. Early arrival does have a fee.
Unaccompanied Minor Service: If your child is under 14 years old, some airlines require you to pay for this added service. If not required, you should still have the option to pay for this service if that is something you would like to add on to their travel plans. This option would require you to fill out paperwork that shows our camp representative’s contact information, the person who will be picking up your child at the gate from an airline representative. You will need to pay the airline’s fee for the entire round trip ticket for this service.
If your camper will be arriving by car, please be at Camp Olowalu on Opening Day by 3pm at the latest.
Please schedule their departure flight ideally between 11am-5pm on Closing day. If departing after 5pm, there is a late departure fee of $20/hr after 3pm for a staff member to be present with your camper until their airport drop off 2 hrs prior to departure time. This fee will go towards food, entertainment, etc before the flight.
If your camper will be picked up from camp, please arrive to get them anytime before 9am on Closing Day.
Before the camp start date, you will receive an email link to our travel form. Please complete our travel form with your airline itinerary so we can arrange your airport shuttle.
Email [email protected] for any travel questions.
Discounts are available for Alumnae and sibling/friend referrals – email [email protected] for your discount codes! Discounts are not combinable.
Discounts and scholarships are also available for Hawaii residents. Email us for more information!
Recommended for Surfing
- 3+ swim suits (sturdy/active style)
- 1-2 pairs Surf pants or quick dry leggings (Especially for first time surfers)
- 1 pair neoprene booties or water shoes
- 1 Long sleeve rash-guard to prevent board rash/sunburns (for sale online or in camp store)
- 2 Reusable water bottles ( 1 qt. capacity, also for sale in our camp store)
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen (New Maui County Law taking effect 2022 eliminates use of chemical sunscreens, only ones using zinc and/or titanium dioxide are allowed )
- 1 beach towels*
- 1 day pack to pack sunscreen, water bottles, lunch, and towel
Necessities for Camp
- t-shirts, shorts, and under garments (enough for a week)
- 1 sweatshirt (check out our MSG HOODIE! it does get chilly at night sometimes)
- 1 pair jeans or long pants
- 1 pair flip-flops or tevas
- 1 pair of close toe shoes, comfortable for hiking
- 2 pair of socks
- 1 brimmed hat
- 1 pair sunglasses
- 1 bath towel
- 1 floral print or dressy t-shirt, skirt, or dress for our luau
- light blanket or light sleeping bag and pillow****
- toiletry bag with toiletry items
- flash light or headlamp and batteries
- Bring a sundress for our Luau Night!
- hand sanitizer (will be provided at camp, but you’ll want it for the plane, etc!)
- reusable cloth face masks
- journal and pen
- back up sunglasses, towels, stuff you usually lose.
- your own surfboard (optional)
- reading material
- camera – you will have limited access to your smartphone (read our camp technology policy), so we recommend bringing a GoPro or other waterproof camera!!
- Money for the camp store (with hats, rash guards, shirts, hoodies and more for sale!) We accept cash, Venmo or can run credit cards via Square.
Please pack lightly, less is more at surf camp!
*There are laundry facilities available. Our coin operated machine is $2.50/load!
****We provide a bottom sheet for all campers, but all other bedding (blankets, pillows or sheets) must be provided from you. The nights can get cool enough that light blanket is nice.