Teen Surf Camps
Registration for 2024 Teen Summer Camp is open!
If you’re a teen girl who has a thirst for adventure, a desire for personal development, and a passion to surf, this is the camp for you!
Open to girls ages 13-17, our surf camps are dedicated to empowering young women through Maui’s water sports and our signature Maui Surfer Girls camp programming. Designed for 1st timer, beginner and intermediate longboard surfers, our camps include oceanfront accommodations, surf coaching, 3 healthy meals a day, and tropical adventures as well as an opportunity to give back to the Maui community through service projects and beach cleanups.
Photos Courtesy Rachael Zimmerman Photography
BE SURE TO EXPLORE ALL THE GREEN TABS ON THE PAGE BELOW TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
NEW FOR 2024Our Teen Girls Camp programming for 2024 will look a little different than it has in years past. We are extending the programming into one session of 11 days rather than two week-long sessions. Our teen girls have a special opportunity with our longer camp program: to learn and advance their surf skills with more surf sessions (7 days of surfing), experience more of Maui (3 full adventure days), and more time for bonding opportunities with other teen girls & our incredible staff of mentors and role models. We are only taking 20 lucky teenagers in 2024!
Once you arrive on Maui, you’ll be greeted at the airport by our friendly staff and whisked away to our oceanfront A-frame cabin facility, the ultimate setting for a surf camp. After meeting your “cabin mama” and settling in, we’ll have some fun ice-breaker activities and a special opening ceremony where you’ll also meet your surf coach and CIT, who will teach you everything you’ll need to know about surfing from loading surfboards onto the vans to carving down the face of the wave. For breakfast, lunch and dinner we will fuel up on healthy grinds prepared by our private chefs. On surf session mornings, we’ll drive just a few miles to our designated surf spot for a two hour surf lesson. Each day will have a variety of afternoon activities around the island and evening activities at camp. We make sure you get a good balance between downtime and fun time!
Questions about Surf Camp? Email [email protected]
We’re stoked to be celebrating over 20 years of teen camps! Over the past two decades, we’ve built a well-rounded program that aims to make a lasting impact on our campers. Not only do they meet lifelong friends and mentors at camp, but they gain experiences and tools to build both inner and outer strength as developing young women. Our focus is to teach adolescent girls how to surf through a sequential teaching program designed to cater to the individual skills and needs of each camper. In addition to the surfing, each camp activity is designed to build a competent and confident camper. Whether gaining skills on a surfboard or hiking through the West Maui Mountains, our campers gain confidence in their personal strengths and abilities. And through their extraordinary experiences at MSG, they will become more adept in facing the challenges of daily life back home.
Our Mentorship Program
We strongly believe that with healthy role models, girls can become their best selves and achieve their goals. The mentorship element of our program provides the girls with one-on-one opportunities to bond with the staff members. Our 3:1 camper to staff ratios are the best in the industry and set us apart from our competition. Adolescent girls are impressionable. Our staff, including the surf instructors, facilitators and administration, are professional in their presentation through appropriate dress, behavior, attitudes, and words expressed to the girls. The instructor/camper relationships are our highest priority, with both physical and emotional safety held to a high standard.
CIT Leadership Program
One of the main goals at our teen surf camp has always been to create opportunities for leadership and personal development. In 2004 we launched our Counselor in Training (CIT) program. Being selected as a CIT has become more and more competitive through the years, and quite an honor if selected.
The girls’ responsibilities as a CIT include two important camp roles. They are a “cabin mama” for the 5 campers in their cabin. Additionally, they are a “beach captain” that assists their assigned surf instructor with loading and unloading the surfboards, and providing encouragement and coaching to the girls in their surf pods. It’s a big job as the CITs are on both during the day and night with the campers but feedback from past CITs is that the position helped build their confidence and gain important leadership skills.
Former campers who meet the following criteria may apply:
Available to be on Maui May 30th-June 15th, 2024 (CIT Training May 30th-June 4th / Teen Camp June 5-15th, 2024)
Must be 18-24 on the first day of camp
Must have previously attended a Maui Surfer Girls camp program
Preference given to those that have attended as a Teen Camper but Women’s Campers are welcome to apply also
Preference given to applicants with at least one year of college experience
Must be 1st Aid & CPR Certified before CIT program begins
Leadership Training Week Course:
CIT TUITION FEE ($2,700.00 + tax + registration fees)
$30 non-refundable Application Fee Required
If accepted to the program, tuition will be charged to the card on file used to pay the application fee 60 days prior to the program start date. The application fee will be applied as a credit towards the tuition. Tuition does not include airfare, sales tax or registration fees. (Sales tax + registration fee equals approximately 8% of the total tuition)
Applications will open on December 1st, 2023. Applications are due by January 31st, 2024.
Applicants will be contacted to schedule a video conference interview by February 8th, 2024.
CITs will be finalized by March 1, 2024.
Email [email protected] for more information and the link to the CIT application.
Maui Teen Scholarships
If you are a teen girl between the ages of 13-17, living on Maui and in need of financial assistance to attend the 2024 Summer Camp, email [email protected] to be notified when the link to the scholarship application is available.
Applications are due by February 24th, 2024
Scholarship applicants will be notified by March 9th, 2024
Sample Afternoon Activities
- Standup paddle boarding
- Beach Olympics
- Scavenger Hunts
- Boogie Boarding
- Hawaiian Arts & Crafts
- Mystery Adventures
- Service projects
- Beach cleanups
Sample Evening Programs
- Spa Night
- Talent Show
- Guest Speakers
- Cabin Bonding
- Movie Night
- Game Night
Registration/Service Fee and Tax is approximately 8% of the total.
Hawaii GET Tax = 4.166%
Booking fee = 4%
2024 camp add-ons (available for purchase at discounted rate at time of booking, can also be purchased at camp):
📸 Four different levels of Photo Packages
🏄🏽♀️ Surfer Girl Starter Kit (includes rash guard, leggings, water bottle and Turkish towel)
🛍 The above items individually
Prices of all of the above are included on the registration page and are visible prior to entering any credit card information.
2024 Payment and Cancellation Policies –
- The $1000 tuition deposit + taxes & registration fee will reserve your enrollment at camp.
- Tuition should be made payable to Maui Surfer Girls. We accept VISA, MC, AMEX, Discover.
- The registration deposit is REFUNDABLE (less service fees) up to 90 days prior to your camps start date. Within 90 days of camp start the deposit becomes non-refundable with exceptions to the medical & non-medical emergencies listed below.
- ALL CAMP SESSIONS WILL NEED TO BE PAID IN FULL 90 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR CAMPS START DATE.
- The final payment is automatically deducted from the same card that the deposit is paid with, 90 days prior to camp.
- The final payment is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Tuition will NOT be pro-rated if the camper must arrive after our opening day or leaves before our closing day.
- For non-medical emergencies within 90 days of camp start date, partial refunds will only be issued if we are able to fill your spot from our waitlist. This refund will be determined on a case by case basis depending on how many staff hours were put in to fill your spot from waitlist or marketing efforts. If we are able to fill the spot, you will receive a partial refund (less service fees + staff hours). If we are unable to fill your spot, no refund will be issued.
- In the unfortunate event of a medical emergency causing the camper to cancel attendance within 90 days of camp start, we will need a doctor’s note to honor any refunds. This refund will be determined on a case by case basis depending on how many staff hours were put in to fill your spot from waitlist or marketing efforts. If we are able to fill the spot, you will receive a partial refund (less service fees+ staff hours). If we are unable to fill your spot, you will receive a 50% refund if a doctor’s note has been received. If no doctor’s note has been received, no refund will be issued.
- Click here for all covid-related cancellation policies
2024 Travel Information
Free Airport Shuttles provided on Opening & Closing Days. We will have a staff member waiting for your camper at baggage claim when they arrive and on departure day we will have a staff member accompany your camper through check-in and get them into the security line.
Please fly into and out of Kahului, Maui (airport code OGG).
Here are some things to consider while arranging their flights:
Please arrange for your camper to arrive no later than 3pm on Opening day. If your only option is for arrival after 3pm, please contact [email protected] for Late or Early (prior night) arrival procedure. Early arrival does have a fee.
Unaccompanied Minor Service: If your child is under 14 years old, some airlines require you to pay for this added service. If not required, you should still have the option to pay for this service if that is something you would like to add on to their travel plans. This option would require you to fill out paperwork that shows our camp representative’s contact information, the person who will be picking up your child at the gate from an airline representative. You will need to pay the airline’s fee for the entire round trip ticket for this service.
If your camper will be arriving by car, please be at Camp Olowalu on Opening Day by 3pm at the latest.
Please schedule their departure flight ideally between 11am-5pm on Closing day. If departing after 5pm, there is a late departure fee of $20/hr after 3pm for a staff member to be present with your camper until their airport drop off 2 hrs prior to departure time. This fee will go towards food, entertainment, etc before the flight.
If your camper will be picked up from camp, please arrive to get them anytime before 9am on Closing Day.
Before the camp start date, you will receive an email link to our travel form. Please complete our travel form with your airline itinerary so we can arrange your airport shuttle.
Email [email protected] for any travel questions.
Discounts are available for Alumni campers and kama’aina. Discounts are not combinable.
Email [email protected] for more information!
Please check out this great blog post we created as a guide for you to get packing for camp!
Not all camps are as strict as ours, but we don’t allow smart phones, tablets, smart watches or anything that connects to the internet. All devices will be collected and stored safely on Opening Day after campers have contacted family to let them know they arrived safely. We will have two afternoons during the camp session where campers are given their devices back for 1 hour to call home, take photos with their new friends or scroll to their heart’s content. All devices will be given back the morning of Closing Day. Bringing a digital camera/GoPro/Polaroid camera that doesn’t connect to the internet is the best choice for documenting the camp experience.
We view summer camp as an opportunity for kids to connect with nature, not with social media. It’s a great place to make new friends and practice IRL social skills that are invaluable in life. Giving up technology for a week or more for kids can be a very challenging adjustment. Make sure you prepare your camper by giving them a good book or journal, and review tips on making new friends without the use of social media outlets.
Mental Health/Emotional Safety
Maui Surfer Girls is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment for all campers, including teen girls, where their mental health and emotional well-being are a top priority. Our camp philosophy is centered on fostering an inclusive, supportive, and empowering atmosphere where campers can flourish emotionally, mentally, and socially. This policy outlines our commitment to promoting mental health and emotional safety within the camp setting, and it serves as a guide for campers, staff, and parents/guardians.
- Camp Staff Training: All camp staff, including counselors, are required to undergo training in recognizing signs of mental health challenges and providing emotional support to campers. Training may cover areas such as active listening, crisis intervention, and promoting positive self-esteem. Maui Surfer Girls is primarily a recreational and educational program centered around surfing and adventure activities. We are not mental health experts nor do we provide therapy or licensed therapists at our camp.
- Transparency: Please let us know if your teen girl has experienced or is experiencing any severe mental, physical or emotional health issues. We understand how difficult these years can be and do not hold any judgment against situations they may be going through. Clear communication is key to us being able to help your daughter to the best of our abilities and determine if Maui Surfer Girls camp is the right fit for them.
- Confidentiality: Confidentiality is crucial in maintaining the trust of our campers. Staff members are obligated to maintain the confidentiality of any disclosures made by campers unless there is a risk of harm to the camper or others. In such cases, the appropriate authorities will be notified.
- Anti-Bullying and Harassment: Maui Surfer Girls has a zero-tolerance policy for bullying, harassment, and any form of discrimination. Campers and staff are expected to treat each other with respect and kindness. Any instances of bullying or harassment will be thoroughly investigated and addressed promptly.
- Emotional Well-being Support: Campers at Maui Surfer Girls are encouraged to express their feelings and emotions in a safe and non-judgmental environment. Camp staff are available to listen and provide support when needed. We have designated quiet spaces for campers who may need a moment of solitude to process their feelings.
- Wellness Activities & Mental Health Awareness: We strive to create awareness around mental health and emotional well-being. Wellness activities, such as mindfulness exercises, yoga, and group discussions that promote self-awareness and emotional intelligence, will be offered to help campers manage stress and build resilience. These activities will be tailored to suit the age and developmental stage of each camper.