Teen Camp Guide To Packing – Updated for 2023! One of the most common questions that we receive after a booking for surf camp is “What should we bring?”. Please review our packing lists below to set your camper up for success. Our camp store will have many of these items available for purchase if you would prefer your camper to get these items once they arrive. Click the links to view items and size charts.
Required for Surfing
- 1-2 pairs Surf pants or quick dry leggings (Especially for first time surfers, non-cotton material is best)
- 1 pair neoprene booties or water shoes (required for first timers or beginners who have never surfed over reef before)
- 1 Long sleeve rash-guard to prevent board rash/sunburns (for sale online or in camp store)
- 2 Reusable water bottles ( 1 qt. capacity, also for sale in our camp store)
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen 30+ SPF (NO chemical sunscreens – only Zinc or Titanium Dioxide) Our favorite is the SPF 33 Face+Body Tin from One Love Body Soul. Use the code mauisurfergirls15 for 15% off at onelovebodysoul.com
- 1 BEACH TOWEL Check out our new MSG Turkish Towels available online or at the camp store (Turkish towels pack small and dry quickly, highly recommend!)
- 1 day pack to pack sunscreen, water bottles and towel for the beach
Necessities for Camp
- 3 each of t-shirts, tanks, shorts and as many under garments as you need for the week* (If camper has a habit of misplacing items, it is a good idea to initial insides of clothing, etc to make it easy getting lost and found items back to them)
- 1 sweatshirt check out our MSG Hoodie! (it does get chilly at night sometimes)
- 1 pair jeans or long pants
- 1 pair flip-flops (slippahs as we call them) or Tevas/Chacos
- 1 pair of closed toe shoes, comfortable for hiking
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 brimmed hat
- 1 pair sunglasses
- 1 floral print or dressy t-shirt, skirt, or dress for our luau
- toiletry bag with toiletry items (shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, soap, toothbrush & paste, etc)
- any medications needed for the week (camp does have the basics-Tylenol, Motrin, etc)
- 1 towel just for showers, optional washcloth (again, Turkish towels pack small and dry quick)
- 1 towel or sarong for sitting on the lawn at camp or to stretch/do yoga (mats not provided and camp doesn’t have enough beach chairs for everyone to sit in during circle time)
- headlamp or flash light (and batteries)
- light blanket or light sleeping bag and pillow**
*There are laundry facilities available. Our coin operated machine is $2.50 /load! We will have quarters to trade for dollars as well as detergent.
**We provide a bottom sheet for all campers, but all other bedding (blankets, pillows or top sheets) must be provided from you. The nights can get cool enough that a light blanket is nice.
Please PACK LIGHTLY, the more you pack the more you have to keep track of!
- back up sunglasses, towels, or other stuff you know there might be a habit of losing 🙂
- small handheld mirror or compact if desired, the one large mirror in each bathroom can get backed up if multiple people are trying to do makeup, etc
- eye masks or earplugs if needed for sleeping
- your own surfboard (optional)
- reading material, journal/pen
- camera – you will have limited access to your smartphone (please read our camp technology policy tab on our website), so we recommend bringing a GoPro or other waterproof camera!!
- Money for the camp store (with hats, rash guards, shirts, hoodies and more for sale!) We accept cash, Venmo or can run credit cards via Square.