As surf instructors, we all crave healthy, nourishing, and delicious meals after working out on the ocean all day! Many of our guests also ask us for recommendations on where we like to eat, especially if there’s any dietary restrictions involved. The good news is Maui has lots of places to choose from, all over the island! In this updated directory, we’ve included some of Maui’s most popular restaurants and some ‘hole in the wall’ hidden treasures, from exclusively vegan cafes to family-friendly favorites with something for everyone. We’ve included the MSG staff favorites in BLUE.
The hardest part about researching all of these locations, especially when it came time to adding photos, was to not get in the car and start driving around to all of these locations! Send us a note on social media (with a photo!) of your favorite meals on Maui!
Restaurants are organized by geographic location:
Name: Moku Roots
- MSG Staff Recommendations: Carole, our surf camp and retail manager, says: “I can never decide between the Taro Burger or the Raw Pad Thai, but you can’t go wrong with either one!”. Lara, one of our surf instructors, shared “If I am craving something very wholesome after teaching lessons before heading out for another surf I love stopping by for the Taro Burger!”
- Location: 335 Keawe st #211 Lahaina
- 2023 Hours: Sunday Brunch: 10:30am – 3pm, Mon.- Sat 10:30am – 8pm
- Specialty: Almost everything is vegan, and dishes are completely dairy free. If you have food allergies and are looking for nut, gluten, soy, sugar, garlic/onion and corn -free food foods as well, this is the spot! They even have their own farm (where are surf instructor Natalie works part-time, so most of their ingredients are locally grown!
- Don’t Miss: They are the only restaurant on Maui who doesn’t provide any single use containers! They wrap to-go food in taro or ti leaves and use papaya stems as straws.
- Website: https://www.mokuroots.com
- Name: Choice Health Bar
- MSG Staff Recommendations: Our surf instructor Kiki can’t get enough of the Buddha Bowl, and heads to Choice after each Honolua surf mission! Our founder Dustin loves the “game changer” for a pick me up – cold brew healthy version with coconut milk! Presley, another surf instructor says “Whether I’m in Paia or Lahaina, I love to get their kale Caesar salad and their green juice! Sooo yummy and very healthy!” And Lara also loves stopping by Choice after a long day of surf lessons to replenish with the POWabunga Acai Bowl & JavaWow smoothie.
- Location: 1087 Limahama Place Lahaina and Whaler’s Village Kaanapali
- 2023 Hours: (see website for each location hours)
- Specialty: The winner of multiple awards and featured in almost every blog about healthy and vegetarian meals on Maui, Choice Health Bar lives up to the hype! Choice offers everything from Kale Salads to a 5 day juice cleanse to catering!
- Website: http://www.choicehealthbar.com
Name: Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop
- Location: 20 Olowalu Village Road (on the road to Lahaina)
- 2023 Hours: Mon – Sun 10am – 6pm
- Specialty: Our surf camps take place directly across the street from Leoda’s, and it’s also the closest restaurant to our surfing beach! They offer a few different types of salads and meat-less options, including a Veggie Burger and an Avocado-Cucumber Sandwich. Our surf school manager Liz shares, “The secret is out about Leoda’s, so there’s always a long line out the door! My hot tip is to order online, then you can just swing by and pick up your lunch, pies and beverages, and then have a picnic at the beach, or enjoy later back at your hotel.”
- Don’t Miss: Did we mention the pie? Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Olowalu Lime, Macnut Chocolate… just buy a bunch to try! You’ll thank us later.
- Website: http://www.leodas.com
- Name: A’a Roots
- Location: 5095 Napilihau St. #103
- 2023 Hours: 8am – 3:30pm (Closed Wed), Special Menu Friday 6-9pm, Sunday Brunch 9-1
- Specialty: 100% vegan health cafe: “a’a Roots revolves around being health-conscious and eco-friendly. We thrive to prepare fresh, locally sourced, vegan dishes, along with freshly pressed juices and smoothies that are infused with superfoods.”
- Website: https://aarootshi.com
- Location: South Maui Gardens, 35 Auhana Rd, Kihei
- 2023 Hours: 12pm-8pm Tue-Sat, Closed Sunday and Monday
- Specialty: North and South Indian food, featuring curries, dosa, samosa, with delicious sides, chutneys and beverages! All menu items are helpfully labeled for Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten-Free.
- Website: SatrangMaui.com
- Name: Kitoko Maui
- Location: South Maui Gardens
- 2023 Hours: Mon – Sat 11am – 8pm
- Specialty: High end cuisine from a food truck, featuring a variety of dishes, including some plant based meals. Read more about Kitoko here (fascinating story!) https://mauitimes.news/maui-food-trucks-kitoko/
- Don’t Miss: The most beautiful instagram food account https://www.instagram.com/kitokomaui/
Name: Papio’s Place
- Location: South Maui Gardens
- 2023 Hours: 12pm- 8pm Wed, Thu, Sun. 12pm – 9pm Fri, Sat (Closed Mon/Tue)
- Specialty: Plant Based Food Truck
- Website: https://papiosplace.com
- Name: Nalu’s
- Location: Azeka Shopping Center – Makai, 1280 South Kihei Road, Kihei
- 2023 Hours: 7 days a week 8 am – 9 pm, Happy Hour 3pm – 6pm
- Specialty: Everything is super fresh, with lots of vegetarian options! Gluten-sensitive items are highlighted on the menu. Order and pay at the counter, then find a table in this fun indoor/outdoor restaurant.
- Don’t Miss in 2023: Live music every night!
- Website: https://naluskihei.com
- Name: Joy’s Place
- Location: 1993 South Kihei Road (Island Surf Building)
- 2023 Hours: Hours: 8am – 2pm Mon – Fri
- Specialty: Joy shares that ‘the foundation of good health is food that has been simply prepared from fresh, organic ingredients and that the issue of meat vs. vegetarian vs. vegan vs. live foods in not as important as eating whatever is needed individually to achieve optimum health.’ Their menu features a wide range of items from smoothies to sandwiches to soups and chilis. They offer vegan and vegetarian items, plus free range turkey, locally caught tuna and live foods!
- Website: http://www.joysplacemauihawaii.com
- Name: Fork & Salad
- Location: 1279 South Kihei Road (Azeka Mauka)
- 2023 Hours: 11am- 8pm
- Specialty: Menus items are helpfully labeled as gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Takeout or Dine in!
- Don’t Miss: The Paniolo Salad!
- Website: https://forkandsaladmaui.com
- Name: Maui Brewing Pub – Kihei Location
- Location: 605 Lipoa Parkway
- 2023 Hours: 11:00am – 10:00pm Daily. Happy Hour is 3:30 – 4:30 Mon – Fri
- Specialty: All ‘gluten-sensitive’ and ‘vegan’ items are helpfully labelled on their menu!
- Don’t Miss: Their pizza crust is made with their Bikini Blonde beer!
- Website: http://mauibrewingco.com
- Name: That’s a Wrap
- Location: Dolphin Plaza, 2395 S Kihei Rd #118
- 2023 Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 9am – 4pm
- Specialty: It started as a food truck and became so popular that it opened a brick-and-mortar cafe. That’s a Wrap is located in Kihei at the Dolphin Plaza and features an array of healthy food options, including many vegan and gluten-free options.
- Website: https://www.thatsawrapmaui.com
North Shore / Upcountry
Name: Cafe Des Amis
- Location: 42 Baldwin Avenue
- 2023 Hours: 11am to 8:30pm Daily, Happy Hour 4pm- 6pm
- Specialty: This mostly open-air restaurant has a delicious combination of Mediterranean crepes and Indian wraps and bowls. We love sitting outside and listening to the live music. They also offer delicious gluten-free/Vegan crepes.
- Don’t Miss: You can’t go wrong with anything on the menu, but our vegetarian friends recommend the Veggie Curry Wrap. Also, head there for Happy Hour and enjoy a lilikoi (passionfruit) margarita for 30% off! You’ll come back over and over again just for this drink…. And don’t skip the dessert crepes!
- Website: http://cdamaui.com
- Name: Freshies
- Location:3620 Baldwin Avenue, Makawao
- 2023 Hours: 7-3 Tue – Sat, Sunday 7-12, Closed Monday
- Specialty:Freshies Maui offers fresh flavorful food for all palates in a fun Maui upcountry setting, serving delicious food for both vegetarians and carnivores under the same roof. The breakfast and lunch menus represent the best of what Maui’s local markets have to offer. Their passion is sourcing fresh produce from local farmers and suppliers we know, combining them with traditional flavors and rewriting familiar recipes into exceptional cuisine.
- Website: https://freshiesmaui.com
- Name: Flatbread Paia
- Location: 89 Hana Highway (the center of Paia town)
- 2023 Hours: 11:00am – 9:00pm Daily
- Specialty: “Paia, Maui… if ever there was a town that is a perfect setting for flatbread, Paia is it. Balmy breezes and rollicking surf in a town filled with characters and karma. No shortage of soul here.”
- Don’t Miss: Punctuated Equilibrium, with Imported Kalamata olives, fresh Maui organic rosemary, organic red onions, our own blend of Hawaiian goat cheeses and fire-roasted sweet red peppers.
- Website: https://www.flatbreadcompany.com/maui/
Name: Maui Kombucha
- Location: 810 Haiku Road (Haiku Marketplace behind Colleen’s)
- 2023 Hours: 10-3 Tue – Thu, Friday 5-8pm, Sat and Sun 10-3 (closed Mon)
- Specialty: Come for the kombucha, stay for the food! “At Maui Kombucha, you’ll certainly quench your thirst with the best bubbly kombucha goodness, but you might be surprised to find that you’ll also feed your belly and your spirit with our full menu of raw vegan fusion cuisine. Our menu offers fresh daily choices of raw, vegan dishes in addition to cooked, vegan items to satisfy any taste. We use local, gluten free, organic ingredients, and prepare everything with care fresh every day.”
- Website: http://www.mauikombucha.com/index.html
- Name: Veg Out
- Location: 810 Kokomo Rd., Haiku
- 2023 Hours: 11am – 7:30pm Mon – Fri, 12noon – 7:30pm, Sat, Closed Sun
- Specialty: According to their website, Veg Out restaurant has been “serving vegetarian and vegan meals to locals, surfers, hippies, tourists, bikers and the occasional intergalactic spaceman since 2000.”
- Don’t Miss: The Chocolate Cake!
- Website: http://www.veg-out.com
- Name: Choice Health Bar
- Location: 11 Baldwin Avenue, Paia
- 2023 Hours: 9am – 4pm
- Specialty: Maui’s freshest plant-based cuisine “We hand-select the finest organic produce grown on Maui’s family farms to help create a sustainable future.”
- Don’t Miss: The Acai Bowls!
- Website: https://choicehealthbar.com/paia/
Name: Sixty-Two MarcKet
- MSG Staff Recommendation: Surf Instructor and Surf School Manager Gina says, “When I’m craving a good breakfast or brunch I love Sixty-Two Marcket in Wailuku! They use locally sourced ingredients whenever possible, and have gluten free options! Plus their name is also their address so you can always find it!”
- Location: 62 N Market Street, Wailuku
- 2023 Hours: Monday – Friday, 8am – 2pm, Sunday 9am – 1pm
- Specialty: The menu, which rotates seasonally (every 62 days), is frequently complemented by specials drawing inspiration from what’s in harvest at that moment the very same day. During the spring, you might experience fresh asparagus and peas, spring lamb. During the summer months, the chefs might feature the best quality of mangos, fresh herbs from the garden and a wide selection of freshly harvested local produce. Vegetarian and gluten free items are highlighted on the menu.
- Website: https://www.sixtytwomarcket.com
- Name: Earth Aloha Eats Food Truck
- MSG Staff Recommendation: Dustin, the owner of Maui Surfer Girls shares, “the fish tacos are surprisingly good for fake meat!”
- Location: 520 Keolani Pl, Kahului, (also have a food truck in Lahaina and a restaurant in Kihei!)
- 2023 Hours: Monday – Sunday, 11am – 8pm
- Specialty: Serving plant based, organic and gluten free foods! The Kahului location is right next to the airport, so it’s a great first or last stop on Maui!
- Website: https://www.earthalohaeats.com
- Name: Fork & Salad- Kahului (across from Target)
- Location: 120 Hookele Street Suite 330
- 2023 Hours: Daily 10:30am – 8:30pm
- Specialty: “Our Mission: to redefine the possibilities of farm-to-table cuisine – as healthy, quick, convenient and affordable, so it can be enjoyed every day by everyone. In doing so, we will effectively support local farmers, ranchers and fishermen, taking us one step closer to a sustainable, edible Maui.”
- Don’t Miss: Featuring online ordering on their website or mobile app.
- Website: https://forkandsaladmaui.com
Which restaurant or meal are we missing? Contact us here or through our Facebook page to share your favorite vegetarian, gluten free meal or restaurant and we’ll try to keep this page updated with fresh offerings! New restaurants are always popping up on Maui, please keep us posted with your news!
Maui Vegetarian Restaurants | Maui Vegetarian Meals | Maui Vegan Foods | Gluten Free Maui | Maui Raw Foods | Maui | Vegetarian Cuisine Maui | Maui Vegetarian Fare | Maui Farm to Table Restaurants | 2023 New Maui Restaurants | 2023 Maui Food Trucks | 2023 Where to Eat on Maui
Want to update your listing? Email [email protected] with your current information.