MAUI VISITORS AND CONVENTION BUREAU LAUNCHES
“MAUI MAVERICKS” PR CAMPAIGN
“The Maui Mavericks campaign offers a modern take on what makes Maui such an incredible destination, as told through our next generation,” says Terryl Vencl, executive director, Maui Visitors and Convention Bureau. “Maui may be known for its beaches and natural beauty, but news outlets in New York or Texas may not see further than that. This campaign showcases the diversity and aloha spirit of our best and brightest, and sends them out into the world as ambassadors of the island we love.”
The Maui Mavericks all embody several essential qualities: they are at the top of their game and part of the new wave of leaders in their respective fields; are fascinating individuals, with unique interests beyond their professional passions; are well-respected in the community and 100 percent committed to serving the islands. They malama (care for) the aina (land) and honor their kupuna (elders), while bringing exciting new perspectives and ideas shaping a bright future for Maui Nui. They are accessible to visitors and residents of Maui.
- Perry Bateman (Cuisine) – Executive Chef of Mama’s Fish House
- Denby Freeland-Cole (Art/Fashion) – Artist and Kapa Practitioner
- Napua Greig-Nakasone (Hula/Music/Culture) – Kumu Hula and Musician
- Kainoa Horcajo (Culture) – Hawaiian Cultural Ambassador at Grand Wailea
- Meagan Jones Gray (Ocean) – Co-Founder and Executive Director of Whale Trust Maui
- Pohaku Kahoohanohano (Culture) – Master Lauhala Weaver
- Tiare Lawrence (Fashion/Ocean) – Owner and Designer of Otaheite Hawaii
- Ekolu Lindsey III (Culture/Ocean/Environment) – President of Maui Cultural Lands
- Garrett Marrero (Agri-Tourism) – Founder and CEO of Maui Brewing Co.
- Kaponoai Molitau (Art/Culture/Hula) – Kumu Hula and Owner of Native Intelligence
- Joylynn Paman (Environment/Culture) – Executive Director of Koieie Fishpond
- Hokuao Pellegrino (Agriculture/Culture) – Land Education Specialist for Kamehameha Schools and Co-Owner and Manager of Nohoana Farm
- Sheldon Simeon (Cuisine) – Executive Chef of Mala Wailea and MiGRANT and Founder/Owner/Chef of Tin Roof
- Shay Smith (Agri-Tourism) – Founder and President of Hawaii Sea Spirits
- Darren Strand (Agriculture) – President and CEO of Maui Gold Pineapple Co.
- Dustin Tester (Ocean) – Camp Founder and Director, Maui Surfer Girls
From left to right: Tiare Lawrence, Hokuao Pellegrino, Dustin Tester, Shay Smith, Sheldon Simeon, Kainoa Horcajo, Mayor Alan Arakawa, Denby Freeland-Cole, Napua Greig-Nakasone, Joylynn Paman, MVCB’s Terryl Vencl, and Perry Bateman. Not pictured: Darren Strand, Ekolu Lindsey III, Garrett Marrero, Kaponoai Molitau, Meagan Jones Gray, and Pohaku Kahoohanohano. (Photo credit: Maui Visitors and Convention Bureau)